Friday, January 28, 2011

Where the fuck is this train headed?

I just wanted to take a minute and share my hopes and ideas for the mighty DoT this early in the expansion.  I also want you guys to give me feedback on this, either through comments here or in-game mail.  I want to know if you think I'm setting expectations too high or too low, and if you have any ideas you think might help then let me know that as well.   So without further to do.....

Raiding Times:

I'm thinking we should go back to 2 nights a week on raiding.  Tuesday seems to work for most people, and we can figure out what will be best for the second day.  8:30 to 11:00 server time gives us a solid 2 1/2 hours of raid time, and we shouldn't need more time then that on current content.

Raid Composition:

This is a tough one.  Current raids seem to favor range over melee to a small degree, and we are short on range. I know we have a lot of Shammies right now and if anyone has an elemental off-spec it would be helpful to have that set ready and geared.  We will do anything we can to help with gearing that spec as well.

As it stands right now we only have the one raid group, but we will eventually have a second.  In the past we have had the second group as a "b" team composed of less geared players and alts.  I'd like to see us move forward to have a full second team that alts can jump into when needed.  This is of course a down the road move.  We need to recruit more, especially healers and tanks  (any help on that front will be much appreciated).

The down side is that right now we have between 15-16 people that want to raid and we only have 10 slots.  For the time being we will be rotating players in based on the following factors:

  • First people to go, first and formost, will be the players most likely to achieve success on the given raid.  This can change from encounter to encounter, based on the mechanics we find ourselves in.
  • If the raid composition isn't and issue then it's first come first serve.  Raiders need to be on at 8:30 server time.
  • 9:45 server time (or closest approximate time to that) will be the rotation time.  Present officers and myself will choose who gets rotated out before the raid starts so everyone knows what to expect.  You don't need to stay on while others raid to be rotated in, but you do need to show up at raid time.  The only exception to this rule would be if we are very close to downing a boss, then 1 or 2 attempts might be made before rotation.  I don't anticipate this being an issue often.
Raiding Strategy:

Right now we will be focusing on Blackwing Descent until we can get two to three bosses down, at which point we will split our time between BD and Bastion of Twilight.  Main idea here is to keep it fresh, while still gearing everyone we can.  I'd like feedback here on what you guys think.

Raid Attitude:

This hasn't been an issue in this expansion, but I still wanted to address it.  These new raids are ferking hard, and we still need to gear people up.  Everyone needs to be patient while we get back into our raiding shoes.  Wipes will happen, but wins of the epic variety will as well.

Mumble:
I've set up a mumble server for us.  Mumble is like vent but supposedly better.  For info on it just google Mumble and go to the sourceforge site.  If it goes well we will be using Mumble rather than vent, as its cheaper for me and I like the interface.

Fucking Kyle!:
Kyle's time has come.  He wants his fucking Frostmourne and we have to help him.  Should be easy enough to do Lich Bitch 25 man with 20 people so we will be coordinating a time to get this taken care of after the next patch (in case there is a dungeon id wipe).  Why are we helping Kyle?


  1. God wants you to.
  2. Achievements and tasty titles.
  3. The ghost of Kyle will haunt your dreams if you don't.
  4. When you get Frostmourne you get a quest for a lich king kill that drops epic lootz.  This will be a free roll.
  5. I want you to, wait shit, thats the same as #1.



Last note from Thrall's Hand:

Again, I seriously want to know what you guys think about this.  I leave you with a musical history lesson of my favorite candy.

                                                               -Kay

1 comment:

  1. uhoh. You DID ask.

    I think two nights a week is going to be mandatory to start to get raid content down. Most of the these boss fights boil down to PRACTICEPRACTICEPRATICE and the only way we're going to win this stuff is if we put in some and, yanno, practice.

    I do not care what we raid. I just like raiding. I like sitting in vent listening to extreme profanity and gay jokes. You're the boss man, you point and say TANK THAT SHIT and I'll slam my face into it.

    Fuck you, Kyle. Fuck you and your Frostmourne.

    Nah. If he wants his little sword to overcompensate, why not. Also, Jon wants to add that he refuses to participate in an event called "Fucking Kyle." He feels it's too awkward.

    Finally, as a fund of trivia and thoughts from someone who raided during BC: Wiping is nothing. Back in BC we would spent 4 hours wiping and call it progress. Failing 20-30 times on a boss was sweet because last week it was 40 times and this time we got him to 23 percent rather than 40. In BC we also couldn't extend the raid locks. So getting end bosses down had to be within the week.

    I knew some guilds who required you were raiding 40 hours a week for end progression. That's another job. So don't get depressed because it's not longer WotLK where we're guaranteed epics and I promise, when these bosses start dying it will be far more satisfying.

    -Rumblah

    ReplyDelete